Saturday, September 18, 2010

Purpose of this Blog

I have been toying with the idea of writing a blog for a while and it is a testimony to my efficiency that my first entry comes ~ 5 months since i created this blog.

I am sure everybody has a reason to write a blog and mine is as follows: This is an era of instant news, where events make news, they are discussed there and then and are subsequently consigned to the dustbin once there is a new "Breaking News". Events are seldom discussed threadbare, no one has the time take an argument to a logical conclusion.
All anchors go, "Tell us right now and right here on 'XYZ channel' the solution to the Naxal Problem !".

The absurdity of such an approach to events of critical importance to our nation's future left me baffled and i was always unsatisfied with the lack of analysis in the discussions that surrounded the said event.

I also felt that all publications/channels these days are in the grip of celebrity culture, mirroring in my opinion, the media in the UK. I love Bollywood, but resent the fact that it has invaded all aspect of life today. Things came to a head with the complete take over of another of my key interests...Indian cricket. What happens as a result is that there is a trivialisation of important events and vice versa.

I feel strongly about the marginalisation of important events and the lack of discussion about the same and thought about writing a blog to put forth my views on such events and enter into meaningful discussions with other like minded people.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why my name is showing as Tinappy and all my attempts to change that have proved futile...

    Tushar,
    I never knew that you could write so well. To your ambitions of an alternate career in hospitality(you keep talking about opening a restaurant) you could add writing as well. There is an article in today's Times by Chetan bhagat on this issue. He has said that three things must change if we have to avoid future disasters like the CWG. One,we must vote on the basis of performance, two, we must encourage voices against injustice and three, we should place an honest but less wealthy person on a pedestal than a rich and corrupt person. The sad thing is I feel no one will be held accountable for the enormous loot of the tax payers money and this like all earlier scams will go into a rigmarole of enquiry committee after enquiry committee which will take so long that the issue goes out of public memory and the corrupt will laugh all the way to their swiss bank accounts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tinammamma,

    Thanks a lot for your encouragement. I read Chetan Bhagat's coloumn that you are referring to on learning to vote on lines dis-similar to how we have done traditionally.

    I also read in the same paper, that in the coming state elections in Bihar, an IITB graduate has floated a party of professionals in Bihar and would be contesting 25 seats.

    The thing is, and we have seen it in the last elections in South Mumbai in particular, these professional candidates are not so knowledgeable about conducting campaigns in Indian elections. One hopes they get better with time :)

    And as far as the enquiry is concerned, the party in power has to indict its own for this mess...if our track record is anything to go by...it does not look so encouraging :)

    ReplyDelete